August 2017 Welfare Notes

August, 2017

Enrollment in Medical and Dental Plans for Active Participants

When you become eligible for benefits, you must enroll in a Plan to have medical and dental coverage. Please contact the SUP Welfare Plan for enrollment information  

If you live outside of an HMO area, a payment is required of the member to help with the cost of the premium for enrollment in the PPO medical plan. Since our contracts have a live in the area or work in the area provision, you can enroll in an HMO medical plan and use the union hall as the address when enrolling in the plan. Enrollment in the HMO medical plans do not require any payment from the members to help with the cost of the monthly premium.

You can use the HMO Plan when you are in port. Only emergency medical treatment is covered outside of the HMO area.

HMO plans include: Kaiser Washington (medical), Kaiser Northern California (medical), Kaiser Southern California (medical), Health Net HMO California (medical), Kaiser Hawaii (medical & dental), Kaiser Portland Oregon (medical & dental). HMO dental plans are Delta Care & United Health Care for California and Dental Health Services for Washington state. Standard Dental for Members not in these areas. 

Be sure to complete the enrollment forms with the correct information and mail copies of marriage certificates to enroll a spouse and copies of  birth certificates for any dependent children you are enrolling. Enrollment forms must be mailed to the SUP Welfare Plan office. Do not mail the enrollment forms directly to Kaiser, Health Net or any other Plan. 

Check the information you have indicated to make sure birth dates and social security numbers are correct and the names listed are the names you want to appear on the Plan records and any ID cards that are issued. Please call the SUP Welfare Plan if you have any questions about completing the enrollment forms.
Enrollments are often delayed because the form does not have a required signature. Also note you can enroll in only one medical and one dental plan. Submitting enrollments for multiple plans will delay your enrollment in any plan until your choice is verified.

After you have enrolled in a Plan, please inform the SUP Welfare Plan of dependent changes including death and divorce and address changes.